Chef of the Year competition winner - Al Fresco Holidays
It’s that moment you’ve all been waiting for – we have the grand winner of our Al Fresco Chef of the Year competition!
Since the competition launched back in April, we’ve seen budding chefs from all over the country dazzle us with their al fresco style recipes – making everything from BBQ favourites to summer time salads.
After the final ten were shortlisted, each dish was cooked on parc and then taste tested by our Al Fresco Holiday reps – these guys really know their al fresco cooking! Each dish brought something different to the table, but it was Sue Taylor’s original and great tasting Mexican Chicken Eatsas that put her well above the rest.
And now we have our winner – a big well done to Sue Taylor and her Mexican Chicken Eatsas! Sue is the lucky winner of an Al Fresco holiday for her and her family.
To recreate Sue’s Mexican Chicken Eatsas, follow her simple recipe here…
500g minced finely minced chicken
2 spring onions finely chopped
1 mild chilli red or green, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
salt and pepper
oil for brushing
For the guacamole
2 very ripe, soft and buttery avocados
juice of a fresh lime
2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
large bunch of coriander, half finely chopped
1 spring onion very finely chopped
salt and pepper
1. Put the minced chicken, onions, chilli and garlic in a bowl and mix well. season with some salt and pepper
2. shape the mixture into patties and brush with oil
3. make the lime guacamole by cutting the avocado’s in half, scooping out the flesh and mashing roughly.
4. add the tomatoes, lime juice, chilli, chopped coriander and mix well, add a little salt and black pepper.
5. cook the burgers on a hot barbie until well browned.
6. heat the tortillas on the barbie for 15 seconds each side then spoon some guacamole into the centre of each tortilla and add a burger to each one and garnish with some fresh coriander.
A big well done to all our finalists too, who each won themselves a beach bag. Check out all of their recipes here: