Festivals and Events in and around The Vendée – June/July - Al Fresco Holidays
These events are usually free (obviously you pay for refreshments if you have them). The French are passionate about their little festivals, and it never fails to amuse us to join in the country dancing, with everyone else. Of course, you can just sit and watch if you prefer. Watch out, too, for the festivals which manifest themselves most weekends in July and August in the quaint fishing village of St Gilles Croix de Vie, 10 miles further south, along the coast. They follow a similar format each Saturday and Sunday, of barbeques, Breton/Vendeen dancing, Popular bands and dancing later in the evenings.
Philippa and Josip have promised to pass on more information as they find it.
• 25th – Les Foulées du Gois – Noirmoutier - A race across the cause-way linking Noirmoutier “almost-island” to the mainland
First Race starts 4.15pm
• 25th – Sallertaine – Fireworks and Bonfire to celebrate the day of feast of St John the Baptist.
• 25th/26th – Triathlon, beginning in St Jean de Monts
• 30th – 3rd July – Fête de danses de l’atlantique: Salsa de Mer (Festival of Atlantic Dancing) at Les Sables d’Olonne. Dance performances and workshops including a mass dance for 10,000 people on the beach! Sounds like fun!
• 2-4th – Tour de France. Please try not to miss that. Click here for a previous account of the “Tour de France”.
• 8th-11th- Fète à tout vent (Festival of everything to do with the wind) – Notre Dame de Monts. Kite festival with fireworks on the first of the 3 evenings
• 13th – Olonne de Mer – Torch light procession and dancing
• 20th July – La Perrier - First of three open air family concerts – traditional music – Free
Philippa and Josip also sent this photo of the schedule of entertainment in the bar, which is updated weekly and can vary from week to week. They have regular activities – Karaoke, Quiz Nights, face painting, a magic show, discos, clowns, and then special events, such as Rodeo.