What to do in The Vendée (Part 2) - Al Fresco Holidays
Puy du Fou – Theme park with a difference.
I decided to tell you about the Puy du Fou next. It was originally our customers who told us about this, and we took a fair amount of convincing before we succumbed. Don’t expect an Alton Towers or a Blackpool Pleasure Beach. This is a totally different experience – it is a French theme park, probably better described as a “spectacle”. Just as good in low season – maybe even better!
55 miles from our beautiful countryside campsite, La Garangeoire
Explore at your leisure – the Medieval City, with its fortified battlements, the 18th Century village, and the 1900 Town Square. But first plan your day by checking the times of the 5 shows, to try to fit them into your hectic timetable. The kids will love it – but you’ll enjoy it just as much..
FIVE SHOWS :
1) The Romans – thrilling chariot race, and a prisoner in mortal danger from the tiger
2) The Vikings – incredible special effects – see the Viking ship rise out of the water.
3) Feel the thrill as the birds of prey skim your head. Don’t miss this one! We’ve seen birds of prey before – but nothing to compare with this. I ducked after this photo
4) Experience a Medieval Adventure extravaganza. Sadly we couldn’t fit this one in – but we’ll make sure we watch the battle next time.
5) Richelieu’s Musketeer – let history thrill you with this romantic story.
In the evening, reputedly one of the most spectacular firework events ever, with a cast of thousands! Unfortunately we couldn’t stay for this, but our guests who went simply raved about it. It DOES get booked up – some guests booked before leaving home (there is sometimes a discount for booking online). Others joined coach trips – you can fall asleep on the way back.
I would certainly recommend looking at the website above before you come. Look at the dates and prices so you are prepared. Decide whether to buy a day ticket, an evening one, or both. (You’ll be shattered – but everyone agrees it’s worth it.)